Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and Xen

> I happen to know the word "Xen" is used in two ways:
>  a) 'Xen' - Xen is a virtual machine monitor for x86
>     (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/)
>
>  b) 'Xen' - programming language unites C#,
>      XML and SQL programming languages.
>      (http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1441416,00.asp)
>
> Both are coming from University of Cambridge
> as far as I understand,
> so I nearly sure both have the same roots.
> It would be nice anybody could tell me the
> relationships between different 'Xen's.

Just coincidence -- I wasn't aware that Microsoft had a project
called Xen. It certainly doesn't have any connection with our VMM.

> Speaking about 'VMM-Xen' (and Xenoservers) project,
> is there any "position paper" kind-of-thing
> regarding the direction for
> the open-source and proprietary products release plan?
> Questions might be:-
>  - I don't mind  XenWindows is not gonna
>    be open source,
>    but what else can be proprietary if any?
>  - Is there any plan to develop proprietary softwares
>    which support VMM-Xen and realtive projects?

(Excerpt from xen/COPYING:)

Xen is released under the GPL. However this copyright does *not*
cover guest operating systems that use Xen services via normal
hypercalls - this is merely considered normal use of Xen, and
does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

Further note that the guest-OS interfacing header files, which
includes all files within the subdirectory
include/hypervisor-ifs, are *not* covered by the GPL but by a
much weaker license: include/hypervisor-ifs/COPYING

So: it's fine to port proprietary operating systems to run on
Xen. It's also fine for users to write their own proprietary
tools to control domains running on Xen, though we would
obviously prefer people to contribute their tools back to the
public source tree.

Regards,
Ian