Re: [Xen-devel] 09 Feb 1.2 hangs on partition check

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I built xen and xenolinux from this morning's 1.2 pull and attempted to
> > boot it on the same hardware where I've been running the 02 Feb 1.2
> > build.  It hangs in partition check.  Compiler for both builds is gcc
> > 3.0.4.  BIOS settings etc. are the same -- this node reboots back into
> > the 02 Feb build just fine.
>
> Any chance you could try with a different version of GCC? This sounds
> possibly like an unexpected optimisation by the compiler (I saw a
> problem with very similar symptoms a coupel of weeks ago that affected
> mainly early GCC 3.x compilers).
>
> Perhaps I should keep a suite of GCC installations lying around for
> local testing of this kind of bug. :-)

Okay, I've tried building Xen/Xenolinux with GCC 3.0.4. Although I
didn't see your bug, I saw enough other weirdness (e.g., the
start-of-day TSC skew calculations are broken) that I am convinced GCC
3.0.x is a bad choice!

Please move to a more recent GCC (e.g. GCC 3.2.2 seems to work, and
I've seen 3.3.x working in the past).

 -- Keir