Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel

Keir Fraser wrote:

xen/include/asm-i386/apic.h for one... and there are more dangerous looking things:

xen/include/asm-i386/dma.h includes both "linux/config.h" and "linux/spinklock.h". This is very likely to be built into the drivers, and likely to cause major havoc if you change the cacheline size.

Only arch/i386/Rules.mk specifies -nostdinc. This is really dangerous if you are not building on a 2.4.24 or very close kernel, and makes cross-compiling out of the question.

I should have a patch for a slightly cleaner build today that you could try out. It's likely to be largish, since I may need to pull in some additional headers from 2.4.24.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to do. #include <linux/foo.h> and #include <xeno/foo.h> should mean the same
thing when building Xen -- all kernel object files should be built
with -nostdinc, and incude/linux is a symlink to include/xeno.

When building Linux for Xen, it does not use any Xen headers except
those in include/hypervisor-ifs -- all other headers are private to
Xen!

I'm not talking about Linux -- I'm talking about Xen itself. Xen depends on the local system includes, which is not good. Xen is definitely not built with -nostdinc, which is what I am trying to fix.

Zachary Amsden
zamsden@xxxxxxxxx