Re: Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Creating a local network within the GuestOS and r outing to an ext ernal network

Hi!

Ian Pratt wrote:
While I agree that network-level filtering is an important part
of a complete system, I'm not so sure that it belongs in the
core, priveleged portion of xen.

Then you'll be happy to here that this functionality is moving
outside Xen and into a 'driver domain' in the new IO model.

Do you mean that (in a very simple view) Xen will take care of memory and domain management and another domain (domain 0?) will take care of every other piece of hardware like IDE, SCSI and NICs?

This would be very cool but, as I understand. Xen requires "hardware" drivers to be event based, so the guest OS in domain 0 would need a giant patch... Right?

And Xen will end up with a) the Xen core, b) "hardware domain" guest OS patch and c) general guest patches. Now we have a) and c), only... :-)

Making the core small is very good, but enlarging the rest - the "guest" universe - is not so good...

Maybe I didn't understand your sentence :-) Can you explain a bit more, please? :-)

Thanks,
Nuno Silva