Re: [Xen-devel] problems with latest unstable

> What compiler are you using?

gcc 3.3.2 - I just recompiled a non-debug xen with Fedora's stock gcc
instead of one that I had compiled. It works fine for the moment, but
I haven't been running it for very long.

> The lack of DOM0 output with the non debug build suggests that
> Linux is dieing before its got the console subsystem up (which
> happens annoyingly late in the init sequence.

I may just be passing the wrong parameter to grub, com1 is what is
mentioned in the HOWTO, that doesn't appear to be correct.

> To get around this, I often add a
> 'HYPERVISOR_console_write(printk_buf, sizeof(printk_buf)' to
> printk in kernel/printk.c

If futzing with the parameters doesn't work I'll do that.

> Hmm. This may suggest that Fedora has yet another sick and
> twisted way of abusing segment registers for referencing thread
> local storage for posix threads, and we're hitting an unexpected
> (and probably slow) code path...

Probably. Might "set_tid_address()" or "set_thread_area()" be the
offender?

execve("/bin/ls", ["ls"], [/* 42 vars */]) = 0
uname({sys="Linux", node="curly.lab.netapp.com", ...}) = 0
set_tid_address(0)                      = -1 ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
brk(0)                                  = 0x805a40e
<...>
set_thread_area({entry_number:-1 -> -1, base_addr:0x805a680,
limit:1048575, seg_32bit:1, contents:0, read_exec_only:0,
limit_in_pages:1, seg_not_present:0, useable:1}) = -1 ENOSYS (Function
not implemented)
<...>

                        -Kip