Re: [Xen-devel] question on the evtchan stuff

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Keir Fraser wrote:

> In a non-privileged guest, the only VIRQ you need care about is
> VIRQ_TIMER (although VIRQ_DEBUG may also be useful).

good to know.

> Everything else is done via inter-domain event channels. Generally
> these are set up for you by control software in DOM0, and you are told
> the port address of your end of the channel. You can then send
> notifications to the far end, and receive async notifications
> yourself.

so console I/O goes through that shared-memory channel? I had noticed that
one.

> There is one bootstrap comms channel that is created for you to talk
> to the control software -- you get told the address of that endpoint
> in your start_info structure; the shared memory for messages is the
> second half of the shared_info page. For message formats and a
> sensible abstraction layer see tools/xend/lib/domain_controller.h
> (this is #include'd into your OS), and
> linux-2.4.26-xen-sparse/arch/xen/kernel/evtchn.c, and
> linux-2.4.26-xen-sparse/arch/xen/kernel/ctrl_if.c, and

yes, these are my reference right now, the key is figuring out how to use
them :-)

It seems that kicking off the shared memory message channel is done by a
callback from Xen to guest OS, right? That's how I read it right now.

anyway, it's getting closer.

It's overall pretty nice.

ron