Re: [Xen-devel] Re: PXE boot

> Hi there,
>
> > Xen currently doesn't support booting domains via PXE, though at
> > some point someone talked about adding it. Basically, the domain
> > builder would do the PXE request and tftp the kernel image that
> > would be place in the domain.
> >
> > I'm sure you could get the domains booting sans PXE without too
> > much hassle anyhow.
>
> I would assume that it would probably be sufficient to modify the
> domain builder in a way that, upon request, it executes a script
> (kind of like a constructor) before the domain starts up. One could do
> things like setting up a disk image with all needed data (like the kernel
> image) in that. As everything is physically handled in domain0, this could
> easily replace  the PXE  boot. And one could of course do many other cool
> things in such a constructor (and destructor type) script. Or maybe
> I'm wrong.

The domain's kernel image is placed in memory by the domain
builder, so doesn't need to come off the domain's virtual disk.

PXE is basically a combination of DHCP and tftp.

We could have the domain builder issue a DHCP request using the
domain it's building's MAC address, then use tftp to fetch the
kernel image into a temporary file that the domain builder can
then use.

Adding support to xend to do this shouldn't be hard. The only
slightly non trivial bit is sending a DHCP request using someone
else's MAC -- rather than hacking dhclient it's probably easiest
to hand craft something one-shot as you don't need a daemon
(presumably you can rely on the server giving the same address to
the same MAC if asked in quick succession)

Ian