Re: [Xen-devel] Run X in other domains?

> Trying out the various possibilities of Xen, I found a way to boot a
> second domain with my secondary graphics and usb cards.In the second machine,
> the devices show up exactly as expected when using
> lspci and lsusb, and cat /dev/mouse0 shows that the mouse generates
> correct output.

Excellent, glad to hear it. Please could you post your config
file as an example.

> So I decided to try and boot X within this machine, and adapted my X
> config to match the PCI id of the second card, and use my USB mouse and
> keyboard.However, when I try to startup X, it complains about being unable to
> access a free tty...I had not honestly thought that this would instantly
> work, so it is not
> really a surprise that it fails. However, this seems to me a bit of a
> strange message, since obviously I am on tty1 of the machine, and it
> should be able to start when I use 'vt1' as a start parameter, or am I
> mistaken here?

I'm not really sure how things work with multiple graphics cards,
but I presume one of them is initialised by the BIOS as the
primary VGA device. I guess you've built the dom0 kernel with VGA
support and it's using that as it's console.

Although the dom1 kernel can see the graphics card, you
presumably don't build it with VGA console support because
otherwise it would fight with dom0 for the single BIOS VGA
console.

In dom1, you're probably having xencons register as tty1 and are
using that as a console. It's not a VT, so I can see why X
complains if that's what it's looking for. It presumably wants a
VT so that it can play nice with other VGA text consoles.  I
wander if it's possible to tell X just to go for it anyway?

If not, how about building dom1 with VT support but with the
DUMMY console driver rather than VGA support.  So that you can
still get a xen console on the domain you could start dom1 with
xencons=ttyS on its kernel command line and add appropriate
inittab and securetty entries for ttyS0. This should enable you
to log in, and then when you start X it should be able to find a VT.

Please let us know how you get on.

Ian

Since domain0 h

Anyway, it seems to me that this particular problem should not be that