[Xen-devel] ANOUNCEMENT: Debian packages for xen built on 2004-08-19 bk source

Well, finally I have bit the bullet and cut the debs. :) These are
probably FULL of bugs, mistakes and outright wrong methods of packaging.
SO, use at your own risk! If it eats your lunch, sorry!

http://www.terrabox.com/debian/

Files: *_1.3-20040819_*.deb

Notes of interest:

 If you notice that the packages do NOT contain any XenLinux kernels,
don't worry. I pakcaged it that way intentionally. WIth the vast array
of configuration options now possible with XenLinux 2.4 and 2.6 I
decided that it would make more sense to split XenLinux kernel creation
and Xen kernel creation into 2 systems.  The XenLinux kernels will be
creted using the patch sets generated and XenLinux-Builder.

XenLinux Builder:

XenLinux-Build 0.1 is also available there. It's a first attempt at
building a slightly inteligent packager for XenLinux kernels. Right now
it only creates tarballs. The next version I hope to have it creating
deb files. It's based on the Debian kernel-source and kernel-patches
filesets. Anyways, standard bleeding edge warnings apply here as well,
even though I'm using it to generate my production XenLinux kernels. ;)

Main Intents:

a: multiple config source file handling,
b: simplify building a XenLinux kernel from the admin's perspective.
c: separate Xen* guest OS kernel building from the main Xen package.
d: other reasons I forget I thought of. heh

TODO:

--Create debian style kernel-headers tarball/deb/whatever filesets for
compiling modules against.
--Manage specification of 3rd party patch files on the kernel source
tree.
--Create deb targets.
--Create RPM targets.(any volunteers? I'm totally unfamiliar with rpm.)
--Have the package copy the build environment files to a new location
via setupXenBuilder script. (preserves pristine original build files in
usr/share/xen-builder)
--whatever else makes sense to be handled here. :)

Comments, questions, gripes, and advice is all welcome on all of the
packages. :) Patches are definitly more than welcome. I'll eventually
submit the debian/* file tree from my patchset to the wonderful Xen
maintainers for inclusion once things look to be stable.

I'll cut a new set of the latest in the next few days once I see a
version of Xen that appears to be stable enough to be worth it. :) Gotta
love a moving target. *grin*

Laters!
Brian Wolfe
TerraBox.com Inc.