Re: [Xen-devel] protecting xen startup

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:17:27AM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> >can i run an xserver in a separate guest OS and still allow the guest
> >OS direct access to the screen?
> >
> >how is that done - via a framebuffer drive?
> >
> >tellmetellme!!!!
>
> There was a very brave chap who had a second PCI graphics card and a
> second PCI USB controller, which he had given a domain (!=dom0) privileges
> to access and was trying to persuade X to run.  I'm not sure how far he's
> got now but it's not straightforward.

 that's what i kinda figured: that the solution would open up a larger
 can of worms than the alternative.

 not that i'm happy with it but it appears to be the simplest solution.

 _another_ alternative which i don't believe offers _that_
 much benefit is to run nomachine:

 /etc/apt/sources.list -> deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/slh-debian/ ./

 then it'd be possible to turn the xen master domain into a thin client
 and have kde / gnome / fvwm / whatever running in a guest domain.

 ... but nomachine is quirky to set up, even with the packages being
 available at the above location.

 l.