Re: [Xen-devel] which (pseudo)-device can be used as VBD in xenU ?

> >>And I would like to do this : disk=phy:md8,md1,w
>
> > You should be able to export md1 just fine, but the blkfront
> > virtual driver won't currently register itself as anything other
> > than sdX or hdX.
>
> I'm having a look at the blkfront driver ; I guess I should be able to
> hack it easily to support registering with md major number. That might
> do the trick (even if it's not very nice).
>
> Question : can a non-privilegied host manage a SCSI HBA (thru PCI
> exclusions) or a IDE controller, and then directly mount SCSI or IDE
> disks ?

Yep, if its a separate PCI device it should work fine.
You'll obviously need the kernel you're using to have the
appropriate driver and e.g. scsi stack. The -xen0 kernel will
probably have what you want.

(this will be an io-privileged domain)

> Or would blkfront "shadow" those device numbers and prevent
> direct access to "real" disks ?

The real device should get in before blkfront has a
chance. Hmm, I guess there could be a problem if you were using
drivers loaded by an initrd...

Ian