Re: [Xen-devel] Réf. : Re: [Xen-devel] "Bounties" on XEN to Windows2000 support

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:14:44 +0100
"Antoine NIVARD" <anivard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> We are ready to spend more than 10.000 euros to help Xen to support
> Windows
> >> 2000
>
> >I asked a Microsoft sales guy about ports of Windows and got this quote
> >forwarded from the Microsoft Research guys in Cambridge
>
> >"The XenoXP work is not currently under active development.  Whilst
> >there is no *technical* reason that it can't be done (and it would
> Ok great
>
> >actually be much easier with the new Xen hypervisor interface), there
> >are many tricky political/legal issues.
> I don't understand than VMWARE (ESX)[1] can do it, and XenoXP can not.

VMware products do not need to port the OS kernel to run Windows; this
is different than just providing special I/O drivers.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/architecture.html