From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Porting of Guest OS
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:58:32 +0700

Amitabh Tamhane wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to boot a guest OS (SuSE 2.6 kernel) on Xen. But, it is giving me boot errors.

The steps I followed:
1) Created a raw diskFile with ext3 filesystem
2) Copied /{root,etc,dev,var,usr,bin,sbin,lib} from my SuSE 2.6 installation on to the diskFile

I would suggest you copy everything from a non-running linux installation.
You could also use a running machine as starting point, but you should exclude these files :

/proc/*
/var/log/*/*
/var/run/*/*
/var/run/*.pid
/var/tmp/*
/var/lock/*/*
/dev/mapper/*
/tmp/*
/sys/*
/mnt/*/*

Note that you NEED /proc, but you don't need anything under it.
Then you have to modify /etc/fstab accordingly, and use /dev/sda1 as root.

3) Created a config file as:
Important parameters are as follows:
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-xenU"
disk = ['file:FullPathToTheDiskFile,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1"
(other parameters skipped)

4) Booted-up the new Domain

It is giving some-errors like /lib/modules/2.6.9-xenU/modules.dep not found. And boots up in the

You need to copy /lib/modules/2.6.9-xenU/ from the physical server (the server you're running xen's "make install" from) to the virtual server. Alternatively, recompile the xen-U kernel
to disable modules support and you can ignore the error completely.
If you're running athlon-xp or P4/Xeon, I can share my xen-U kernel (or the .config), with modules disabled,
optimized for those platform.

Can anyone tell me what exact changes do i need to make to the SuSE 2.6 kernel to be able to boot it as a new Domain?

Are you using 2.4 or 2.6? Your xen config file says 2.4.

I understand that the machine dependent code has to be changed with new code provided by Xen....but I could not find a place where it says........."These are the exacts steps you need to follow for porting of Guest OS in a Domain"

Because it's not there yet :)

Regards,

Fajar

Amitabh P. Tamhane