[Xen-devel] highly available xen

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:04:25 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:05:45 +0000

Has anyone done any work in developing some heartbeat scripts (or any
other method) for making  xen domains highly available across multiple
physical machines?

By my reckoning the hurdles to overcome are:
. make absolutely sure that the same domain doesn't start twice and hose
it's filesystem (I've done this. It isn't pretty)
. migrate a domain in the case of an orderly shutdown
. restart a domain on another physical server in the case of a complete
xen crash
. add some smarts to know how many domains a physical server can support
. prioritise critical domains over non-critical domains (eg a primary
mail server might take priority over a secondary dns server)

Any thoughts?

James