Re: [Xen-devel] Interest in running ReactOS and Windows under Xen

> > Last I heard, it was thought that it *might* be possible to get Windows
> > to run under Xen on non-VT hardware but I don't think anyone here has
> > anywhere near the spare cycles required to investigate this/
>
> I am still new to the learning curve on Xen. I'll look in to it a bit and
> see what I can figure out.

The idea was (I think) that it *might* just be possible to use full shadow
mode, plus trapping and emulating instructions in Xen in order to deal with
all the bits of Windows it's not possible to modify...

> > A ReactOS port has been mentioned before - it's a good idea but needs
> > volunteers to make it happen.  As you say, a nice benefit is that code
> > related to the ReactOS port (e.g. the virtual device drivers) could be
> > reused for Windows.
>
> Yes. The problem with most of the ReactOS team is that most of the effort
> has been focused on Qemu. None of our developers are interested in porting
> ReactOS to use the Hypercall stuff. We are still working on just making
> ReactOS stable <g>.

Makes sense to use QEmu, since you also (obviously) want to run on real
hardware ;-)  It would be well cool to have ReactOS running on Xen too
someday.  Perhaps when both projects have grown some more...

Cheers,
Mark