Re: [Xen-devel] Interest in running ReactOS and Windows under Xen

  • To: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:21:33 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:23:12 +0000

--- Mark Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> The idea was (I think) that it *might* just be possible to use full shadow
> mode, plus trapping and emulating instructions in XeXenn order to deal with
> all the bits of Windows it's not possible to modify...

I hope so. I have been talking it over with some of the ReReactOSuys and there
may
be one of two that have interest. They are currently looking for a company that
is interested in adapting Windows to XeXeno spsponsorhe effort.

> Makes sense to use QEQEmusince you also (obviously) want to run on real
> hardware ;-)  It would be well cool to have ReReactOSunning on XeXenoo
> someday.  Perhaps when both projects have grown some more...

It already works well in QEQEmund VMVMwareut we get a lot of requests from
the Linux community for more of a direct port to Linux and XeXenight be the
solution.
Captive-NTNTFSort of did this by making a copy of ReReactOStntoskrnlun in
ususerspaceand allowing
it to load the Windows NTNTFSys. The idea is that if you could make ReReactOS
run as a subsystem of Linux then you might get better cocompatiblityith Windows
applications then just trying to run all of Wine in ususerspace.epespeciallyith
all
of the changes to the Windows design in the past few years.

Thanks
Steven