[Xen-devel] some questions (xfrd, syslog, mem, preempt)

Hi list,

i have some minor non-critical questions about xen:

1) I found one line about that obscure xfrd in the "Xen Users'
   manual":

       As xend runs, events will be logged to /var/log/
       /xend.log and, if the migration assistant daemon
       (xfrd) has been started, /var/log/xfrd.log

   That's it, nothing in the FAQ. What is it? Why is it
   started by "xend start"? Why is it listening on 0:8002?
   If it is necessary, how can i bind it to localhost? If
   not, how can i prevent it from being started?

2) Can i configure xend to use syslog? xend.log's time-
   stamps have non standard format, and xend-debug.log has
   no timestamps at all.

3) When i create a domain configured for "memory = 64" i
   observe that "xm info" reports "free_memory" decreasing
   exactly 64MB. But "xm list" reports that the domain
   consumes 63MB, and /proc/meminfo even less (63136 kB).
   This happens allways.Is the missing RAM consumed by the
   Xen hypervisor? (I do not use the balloon driver, yet)

   Same goes for domain0: I boot with "dom0_mem=100000",
   that should be 100000/1024 = 97.656MB, but "xm list"
   reports 92MB for "Domain-0" and /proc/meminfo 94740kB,
   at least 5MB missing.

   Is the difference between the sum of all gross (or net?)
   domain memory footprints plus the "free_memory" and my
   hosts RAM the memory consumption of the Xen hypervisor/
   microkernel (in my case it's 17MB)?

4) Any recommendations for CONFIG_PREEMPT and CONFIG_PRE-
   EMPT_BKL? Or just the same as if the kernels would run
   native, eg "If it runs a desktop use CONFIG_PREEMPT=y"?

5) By accident i had CONFIG_HANGCHECK_TIMER=y in my dom0.
   That flooded the kernel log with "Hangcheck: hangcheck
   value past margin!" Is that caused by the nature of Xen
   to pause and unpause domains all the time?

/nils.
--
no sig