Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Mark Williamson wrote:

> > core.dynamic.memory - I'm not sure if it is possible yet to
> > boot a domain with less memory than its maximum, and grow
> > the domain's memory later through the balloon driver
>
> It used to work but right now it seems to be broken (at least in the
> unstable tree).

Hmmm, I'll look into it once I have xen working again
in rawhide - this is a part of the kernel I know well
enough.

> > we're missing an io.device.virt.discovery - in order to
> > be able to install into, and manage, a virtual machine,
> > the OS needs the ability to discover what virtual devices
> > are present - exporting through sysfs would work fine.
> > Since this is a requirement for many system administration
> > tools (eg. kudzu), this should probably be a Xen v3.0 target
>
> They do appear in sysfs, though, don't they?  I remember that kudzu,
> anaconda, etc. didn't recognise them but I never knew why...

The thing is that a device only shows up in sysfs when
a driver for it is already loaded. There is no "xen bus"
that would allow kudzu to figure out which drivers to
load...