RE: [Xen-devel] Run X in other domains?

> Initially I made some progress with the pre-built kernel
> binaries (from the current 2.0.5 release).  The xenU kernel
> lacks PCI support, and X reports "Cannot open /dev/tty0"
> using it in domain 1.  I switched to the xen0 kernel for PCI
> support, and then X reported "Cannot find a free VT".
>
> The output from lspci lists everything but the VGA card in
> domain 0, unless "lspci -H 1" is used.  In other domains,
> lspci reports only the VGA card and "lspci -H 1" reports "You
> need to be root to have access to I/O ports".  However X
> still starts OK in domain 0, which surprised my.
> I've confirmed that "xm dmesg" includes "Hiding PCI device
> 01:00.0 from DOM0" after passing "physdev_dom0_hide=01:00.1" to Xen.

I can see how you could start a very simple VGA-only Xserver -- by
default dom0 happens to have access to the bottom 1MB of memory, which
is enough to get a VGA Xserver working.

> I've followed Ian's advice, rebuilding Linux 2.6.10 with the
> default xenU configuration eith XEN_PHSDEV_ACCESS added (to
> automatically enable
> DUMMY_CONSOLE) plus PCI support.  However my kernel crashes
> immediately after "Freeing unused kernel memory", even when I
> pass "xencons=ttyS".
> Perhaps the build broke somehow, or it's configuration is invalid?

I think you'll need to look through the oops message to see what's going
on.
You could try setting xencons=off just to rule xencons out.

I presume you've granted the PCI device to the other domain in it's
config file?

Ian