Re: [Xen-devel] Run X in other domains?

Hi,

I've been looking into Xen's status recently, and trying to run X from a
non-privileged domain.  I'd got as far as Mark reported when I found his
old post on the mailing list, so thought I'd reply to this thread.
However I didn't find any follow ups after Ian's response, so I presume
there have been no developments for a while.

Initially I made some progress with the pre-built kernel binaries (from
the current 2.0.5 release).  The xenU kernel lacks PCI support, and X
reports "Cannot open /dev/tty0" using it in domain 1.  I switched to the
xen0 kernel for PCI support, and then X reported "Cannot find a free
VT".

The output from lspci lists everything but the VGA card in domain 0,
unless "lspci -H 1" is used.  In other domains, lspci reports only the
VGA card and "lspci -H 1" reports "You need to be root to have access to
I/O ports".  However X still starts OK in domain 0, which surprised my.
I've confirmed that "xm dmesg" includes "Hiding PCI device 01:00.0 from
DOM0" after passing "physdev_dom0_hide=01:00.1" to Xen.

I've followed Ian's advice, rebuilding Linux 2.6.10 with the default
xenU configuration eith XEN_PHSDEV_ACCESS added (to automatically enable
DUMMY_CONSOLE) plus PCI support.  However my kernel crashes immediately
after "Freeing unused kernel memory", even when I pass "xencons=ttyS".
Perhaps the build broke somehow, or it's configuration is invalid?

My domain config file looks like this:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xenU-mod"
memory = 128
name = "whitebox"
disk = [ 'phy:hda6,hda6,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda6 ro"
extra = "1 xencons=ttyS"
pci = [ '01,00,00' ]

Does anybody have any experience with X in other domains, or thoughts on
how I might proceed please?

Cheers,

Sean.

--