RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts needed?

Then, after some look at vmxassist mechanism and with some discussion
with Susie Li, I'm now aware that my previous understanding completely
bias from your intent. :) Following the 'hack' you mentioned, that DM
may finally be standalone component, without any dependency with upper
vmx domain. Control panel can load it to appropriate position, which has
its own trap table, own page table (maybe fixed), device emulation
logic, simplified event channel interface, similar assist hook in HV for
context save/restore, etc. No need to have memory management, since DMA
buffer will only be touched by backend. En... now I'm clearer about the
feasibility, which is always the first thing for me to care when
learning new things. :)

Regarding performance, it saves many context switches between kernel and
user space, compared to current DM model which runs as application in
service's OS. But the maximum granularity of this model is still
instruction level when vmx domain tries to do mmio access. Instead, for
some specific device, frontend driver module may be more effective to
utilize frontend-backend model, since it's based on transaction/session.
The example is the recent VBD/VNIF driver by Xiaofeng Lin, which can be
installed into vmx domain dynamically and then talk to backend
effectively.

Thanks,
Kevin