Re: [Xen-devel] DMI and other BIOS hooks

On 26 Jul 2005, at 19:11, King, Steven R wrote:

Here's a few specific questions:
1) Does Xen map the platform's 0xF0000-0xFFFFF BIOS space to guests, or
is this region virtualized?
2) If virtualized, how Xen map BIOS facilities to guests?

In my case, Dom0 finds the _DMI_ entry point, which appears to overlap
with physical RAM.  This ultimately causes the domain_crash() for Dom0.
Looks like a bad BIOS, but I'm unclear as to the degree which Xen plays
man-in-the-middle.

Memory space that is reserved by the e820 table is marked as 'I/O memory' by Xen. Domain0 is allowed to map such areas as it wishes. If you have a broken BIOS that is not reserving the table areas in its e820, Xen will not mark the area as I/O memory and will prevent domain0 from mapping that memory. Hence the crash.

We may need a workaround for broken BIOSes (perhaps even if it's just a boot parameter to Xen to specify reserved memory ranges).

 -- Keir