Re: [Xen-devel] help with bugs

"Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'd like to appeal for some help tracking down a couple of bugs that
> we're struggling to reproduce:
>
>  BUG62  eth0 -> veth0 in network script can loose network

I think the only sane way to fix this is to let the distribution tools
configure the network.  Thats a bit harder to set up, but works more
reliable.  Also the "if{up|down} <interface>" commands and the like
will work as usual then.  Especially in case eth0 is configured via
dhcp the ip address copying is a bad idea.  Unfortunaly it isn't very
good documented how all this works, especially the new veth0 thing.

IMHO it would be good if the network start script checks whenever any
bridges are already present in the system and don't touch the network
setup if that is the case.  That should catch both network setup being
already done by the distro start scripts or by an earlier network
setup script run (when xend is restarted).

The setup I'm running looks like this (classic 2.x setup, no
veth0/vid0.0 used), in boot.local:

        ip link set eth0 name hw-eth0
        brctl addbr eth0
        brctl addif eth0 hw-eth0
        ip link set hw-eth0 up
        ip link set eth0 up

Then let the network scripts setup eth0 (now a bridge) as usual and
tell xend that "eth0" is the bridge device it should add the vif
interfaces to.

cheers,

  Gerd

--
panic("it works"); /* avoid being flooded with debug messages */