Re: [Xen-users] Network stalling

  • To: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tim Durack <tdurack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:59:41 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:57:41 +0000

Do you mean the network scripts are broken, or the handling of interfaces in Dom0 is causing issues with a routed setup?

I'm configuring everything manually. The fact that I have to build gre tunnels to make things work as expected suggests their is something broken in the netfront/netback code to me.

Tim:>

On 8/31/05, Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim Durack wrote:
> Guess I should add my experiences:
>
> Running unstable (approx. two weeks old now.)
>
> Dom0 vif1.0 -> guest eth0: icmp works, ssh fails, tcp seems to have checksum
> issues. Building gre tunnels over this works around the problem. I thought
> maybe this was device driver related (tg3), so I tried bcm5700 with the same
> result.

> Tried a similar setup with a machine with e100 driver. This time I get udp
> checksum errors instead of tcp, so dns fails but ssh works ;-( A gre tunnel
> is my current workaround.
>
> I say checksum issues because ethereal is complaining about transport layer
> checksums when I do a capture to diagnose the problem.
>
> Tried various combinations of disabling tx/rx/sg/to with ethtool in both
> Dom0 and guest, to no avail. Also tried hacking the driver code to
> permanently disable offloads. Tried looking for the difference between
> stable/unstable netfront and netback, but didnt get far.
>
> A bridged setup works, ip address on Dom0 veth0, Dom0 vif0.0 bridged with
> Dom0 vif1.0. Real pain in the neck to firewall though, due to all the
> interfaces. Never managed to get Masquerading to work in this setup, so went
> back to a routed network with gre tunnels...
>
> I can try a more recent unstable if it might help, but I haven't seen any
> evidence of anything having fixed this. Love to have a simple routed setup
> working.

Tim, it's very likely that your initial problem has been resolved
in unstable - Ian, Keir, et. al have put in quite a few fixes which
have closed most of the outstanding issues we had. I think there
are only a few remaining issues. However, currently routing is
broken in unstable, so you might want to hold off on testing current
unstable until that gets fixed.

thanks,
Nivedita