Re: [Xen-devel] 32/64-bit hypercall interface

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 04:45:48PM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Cross-architecture 'compatibility' (same binary layout) is not
> currently an aim for the Xen-public interfaces, and I don't expect it
> to become so. If we went down that road we'd have to stipulate things
> like endianess, which I think we can all agree is not the way to go.
>
> I certainly don't want to wholesale restructure our interfaces just to
> fortuitously make things match up for 32- and 64-bit ppc (which is what
> you are actually arguing for, in the guise of more general
> cross-architecture compatibility).

The only practical consideration would be compatibility between 32/64 modes on
the same platform for hypercalls. I would expect 32-bit guest to be able to
run on xen-64 and that easier to achive if hypercall interface is clean.

Seems(need to look more though) it could be done by redefining current data
types
in such a way so that they will have the same layout on 32-bit platform.

-Andrei