Re: [Xen-devel] 32/64-bit hypercall interface

On Sep 30, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Keir Fraser wrote:

There's the rub: we don't expect to ever want to provide 32-bit x86 ABI compatibility on 64-bit x86 Xen. We will not be supporting 32-bit paravirtualised guests on 64-bit x86 Xen, and we've taken the approach of requiring separate 32- and 64-bit toolsets (which isn't too painful on x86 since full-fledged 64-bit filesystems are quite easy to come by).

That's great, if all you care about is x86. That is how Linux started of course, and look where we are now... I think portability and well-designed interfaces are nice things to think about earlier rather than later. :)

Really this sounds to me like this is only going to be a problem for ppc. That given, knocking up a translation script to import the interfaces into your 32-bit toolchain does seem worthy of consideration. It wouldn't allow you to use the same tool binaries on both 32- and 64-bit ppc Xen, but I don't know how much you actually care about that...

A translation script seems exceedingly difficult. A separate set of headers would be less so, but extremely fragile.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center