RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen 3.0 for OpenBSD

  • To: "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]" <sascha.retzki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:25:05 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:22:31 +0000

> Dave Feustel wrote:

> >>I think you mean porting OpenBSD to Xen so you can run OpenBSD as a
> >>guest domain (domU).
> >

> > Actually, what I would like to do is replace linux in xen/linux with
> OpenBSD.
> > However, that may be too much work. I do like having OpenBSD as my
> interface
> > to the internet.

Who does not? ;)

> NetBSD can also be used as the privileged domain (dom0) running under
> Xen 2.0 (though not yet under Xen 3.0), so the NetBSD sources are
still
> a useful starting point for you if you're planning to pursue porting
> OpenBSD to Xen to run as a privileged domain.

Yes, I certainly believe that the NetBSD-kernel is the place porters
will look at (first). IIRC, OpenBSD changed some parts, but they are
still very close imho.

I have basicly no real experience in porting a kernel, neither do I know
much about NetBSD/OpenBSD in great detail, however I am very interested
to see OpenBSD in dom0/domU. Interested enough in trying it ;-)

However, I suggest to wait till xen3.0 has been released, simply to be
sure that the API/ABI does not change anymore. This is at least what I
heared.

> However, I think it's probably more useful to start by porting OpenBSD
> as a guest domain -- you're going to want to run all your services in
> guest domains anyway to take advantage of the
security-through-isolation
> that Xen provides.

I am unsure if you can reduce it to this. I certainly never trusted
Linux, nor do I want to make Linux access my Hardware. Just my 2 cents,
if anybody wants to start a flamewar about this, please change to topic
so my spam-filter can be configured to catch them correctly.