[Xen-devel] can't start domU

I've been getting hangs while attempting to start domUs on recent
changesets.  I get an error such as:
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.

Yet if I run diagnose.py on the now- paused domU, I get this:
# python diagnose.py 2
Domain ID is 2.
Domain name is ExampleDomain.
Found 2 device classes in use.
Found 1 vbd devices.
Found device vbd, 769.
Backend is stuck waiting for frontend for device vbd, 769.
Device vbd, 769 hotplugging has completed successfully.
Found 0 vif devices.

Any idea why the front end would be stuck?

I'm running udev 068.