Re: [Xen-devel] can't start domU

Charles Coffing wrote:
I've been getting hangs while attempting to start domUs on recent
changesets.  I get an error such as:
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working.

Yet if I run diagnose.py on the now- paused domU, I get this:
# python diagnose.py 2
Domain ID is 2.
Domain name is ExampleDomain.
Found 2 device classes in use.
Found 1 vbd devices.
Found device vbd, 769.
Backend is stuck waiting for frontend for device vbd, 769.
Device vbd, 769 hotplugging has completed successfully.
Found 0 vif devices.

Any idea why the front end would be stuck?

I'm running udev 068.

All of these are failures to create the vif devices.
Please check /var/log/messages, xend-debug.log, etc.
You can put a set -x in your /etc/xen/vif-bridge (or equivalent)
script for more verbose detail.

Also, check to see that your install went successfully.

From previous debugging over the past week, most of
these cases were the lack of brctl (or execute perms
for root), or the lack of other utilities (make install
should catch these).

thanks,
Nivedita