Re: [Xen-devel] compiler errors in latest unstable from 20051027

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Adam Heath wrote:

> > > You *must* apply the patches in patches/linux-2.6.x before building.
> > > They are not optional.
> >
> > Well, see, that's the funny thing.
> >
> > I was testing out the debs of unstable I made.  The xen patch that is
> > produced
> > calls the existing makefile targets.  I take the patched 2.6.12 debian
> > source,
> > revert that back to plain 2.6.12, then name the directory to what the
> > makefile
> > expects.  I then generate a diff from the patched tree against the original.
> >
> > And this patch still failed.
> >
> > However, I'll dig more into it.
>
> Hmm.  I see something a bit odd.  In buildconfigs/Rules.mk, the shell snippet
> that applies the patches in a loop, contains a || exit 1 inside a ()
> construct.  This doesn't work.  Please observe the following:

Even more problems with the build system.

When building a patch, the makefiles create a pristine-linux-$ver.  Then they
create a new ref-linux-$ver, apply everything in patches/linux-$ver/*.  Then,
that is copied tmp-linux-$ver.patch.  Finally, a diff is generated between
ref-linux-$ver and tmp-linux-$ver.patch.

This is bad, as the patch does not contain anything applied between
pristine-linux-$ver and ref-linux-$ver.  That is my problem.  I then took the
generated patch, placed it into a deb, installed the deb, then attempted to
apply the patch.  That's how I got the error from before.

However, just generated a full patch between pristine-* and tmp-* seems wrong,
as that would include things that are not actually xen.  I'll probably end up
taking everything out of patches/linux-$ver, and placing them all into the deb
directly.