Re: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stoppedworking

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:51:24AM -0500, Dave Thompson (davetho) wrote:

> UEVENT[1133877953] add@/devices/xen-backend/vbd-4-2049
> UEVENT[1133877953] add@/devices/xen-backend/vif-4-0
> UEVENT[1133877953] add@/class/net/vif4.0
> UEVENT[1133877953] online@/devices/xen-backend/vif-4-0
> UDEV  [1133877956] add@/devices/xen-backend/vbd-4-2049
>
> Here is the output when the vbd failed:
>
> UEVENT[1133880108] add@/devices/xen-backend/vbd-5-2049
> UEVENT[1133880108] add@/devices/xen-backend/vif-5-0
> UEVENT[1133880108] add@/class/net/vif5.0
> UEVENT[1133880108] online@/devices/xen-backend/vif-5-0
> UDEV  [1133880111] add@/devices/xen-backend/vif-5-0
> UDEV  [1133880111] online@/devices/xen-backend/vif-5-0
> UDEV  [1133880116] add@/class/net/vif5.0

Well this suggests that udevd is simply throwing away the vbd event!  I don't
suppose there's any indication in your syslog as to why it might be doing
this?  That is a bit strange.  Our driver triggers the event correctly, as you
can see from the first line, but udev then simply doesn't pass it on.

Could you try udevmonitor --env and we'll see if there's anything odd in the
environment that might be doing this.  Otherwise, the only other configurable
part is the udev rules.  Perhaps there's something odd about them that it
doesn't like, though it works some of the time, so that would surprise me.

Ewan.