RE: [Xen-devel] Xend vnet support to be removed

Based on the description from your documentation, it sounds like the
guts of vnets could be done with 802.1q vlan trunking and bridging. No
extra code required. I'm already doing this now, where each xen server
has two physical interfaces (one for AoE, and one for domu network
access). I can provide some more information on 802.1q vlan trunking if
anyone is interested.

I'm basing all of my knowledge of vnets on a brief skim of the
documentation in your email below, so feel free to enlighten me as to
why they are different :)

Thanks

James

If
> so,
> > then now would be a good time to resend them, because they've been
> missed if
> > so!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ewan.
>
> I think all the patches I've sent so far have been applied - I've got
> some more changes I'm working on, but they're not quite ready to post
> yet.
>
> There's some brief documentation below (extracted from the doc
directory
> in the
> vnet source).  What format would you prefer for more extensive
> documentation?
>
> 0) Introduction
> ---------------
>
> Vnets provide virtual private LANs for virtual machines.
> This is done using bridging and multipoint tunneling. A virtual
interface
> on a vnet can only see other interfaces on the same vnet - it cannot
> see the real network, and the real network cannot see it either.
>
> Virtual interfaces on the same vnet can be on the same machine
> or on different machines, they can still talk. The hosting machines
> can even be on different subnets if you run vnetd to forward,
> or have multicast routing enabled.
>

> 1) Installing vnet support
> --------------------------
>
> Assuming the code has been installed (make install in the parent
> directory),
> configure xend to use 'network-vnet' instead of the default 'network'
> start up networking. This just loads the vnet module when networking
> starts.
>
> In /etc/xend/xend-config.sxp:
>
> Configure the network script:
>
> (network-script        network-vnet)
>
> Restart xend.
>
> Alternatively insert the vnet module using vnet-insert,
> preferably before xend starts.
>
> 2) Creating vnets
> -----------------
>
> Xend already implements commands to add/remove vnets and
> bridge to them. To add a vnet use
>
> xm vnet-create <vnet config file>
>
> For example, if vnet97.sxp contains:
>
> (vnet (id 97) (bridge vnet97) (vnetif vnif97) (security none))
>
> do
>
> xm vnet-create vnet97.sxp
>
> This will define a vnet with id 97 and no security. The bridge for the
> vnet is called vnet97 and the virtual interface for it is vnif97.
> To add an interface on a vm to this vnet simply set its bridge to
vnet97
> in its configuration.
>
> In Python:
>
> vif="bridge=vnet97"
>
> In sxp:
>
> (dev (vif (mac aa:00:00:01:02:03) (bridge vnet97)))
>
> At the moment you will also have to reduce the MTU of the
corresponding