RE: [Xen-devel] overwriting config files on re-install, and vif's

  • To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:51:53 +1100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:54:53 +0000

> They are the 8 netback-loopback interface pairs.  These are used to
> connect
> dom0's virtual ethernet through a bridge (or whatever) and then out
> through
> the physical ethernet interface.  8 interfaces allows you 8 physical
NICs.
> If
> you want to reduce this number, it's the parameter nloopbacks to our
> loopback
> module (see drivers/xen/netback/loopback.c.  They aren't doing any
harm
> though,
> so I'd not worry about it.

I've had a look through loopback.c and can see the code that creates
them, and the parameter that says how many to create.

Seems a bit of a waste of resources, but the thing I find annoying
though is it turns the output of 'ip link' from a few lines to a page.
But I'll live with it :)

Thanks for clearing it up.

James