[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

makes debugging and development easier,

that I don't buy; a fixed interface tends to make debugging harder not
easier since you can't change it to add more information

This we find to be quite true. Now, you can use a VMI kernel, make changes to it, run it on native hardware, and be confident that it will run properly in a VM as well. And you can develop in a VM, with confidence that you can run on native hardware. You can even replace the entire "ROM" image with your own custom debugging image to add any type of debugging or performance monitoring facility you want - and you have some very, very interesting hook points into the kernel that make that task much more achievable.

that I buy for binary only hypervisors. But in an open source world I'll
buy this a LOT less as being relevant.

This is not about the open source versus the closed source world. It is about the real world, where customers want to make as few changes as possible to a working and already deployed system. If they have to recompile a kernel just to get their system to run again, that is a pain point that is easily avoided.

Zach