[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

* Zachary Amsden (zach@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> This we find to be quite true.  Now, you can use a VMI kernel, make
> changes to it, run it on native hardware, and be confident that it will
> run properly in a VM as well.  And you can develop in a VM, with
> confidence that you can run on native hardware.  You can even replace
> the entire "ROM" image with your own custom debugging image to add any
> type of debugging or performance monitoring facility you want - and you
> have some very, very interesting hook points into the kernel that make
> that task much more achievable.

Replacing a ROM image is easier in terms package management, but still
requires full validation and certification process.  Swapping out the
underlying core is a major change and needs to be re-validated.

thanks,
-chris