Re: [Xen-devel] Status of auto_translated_mode

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jesper Kristensen <cableman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:01:41 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:03:10 +0000

Ian Pratt wrote:

After some investigation, we found that existing auto_translated_mode matches our model and then would like to know the status of this mode on xen/x86.

1. First a background question, what's the major usage model for auto_translated_mode?

Currently, the main usage model is to support guests that haven't got
fully paravirtualied mm systems. It's also useful for a number of
research projects, such as vm fork, determinsitic replay etc.

A quick question: Can this be enabled on a per domU basis and how is this done correctly? The furthest I can track it is in tools/libxc/xc_linux_build.c

shadow_mode_enabled = test_feature_bit(XENFEAT_auto_translated_physmap, required_features);

one could of course for now hardcode shadow_mode_enabled to 1, but it sounds like there would be a config file option for this kind of thing. I can not seem to backtrack this any further. So my question is this: how do I enable translated shadow mode as cleanly as possible?

Best Regards,
Jesper Kristensen