RE: [Xen-devel] Testing status of fully virtualized guests (Intel VT) on 64bit XEN unstable

  • To: "Ed Smith" <esmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Li, Xin B" <xin.b.li@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 23:37:53 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 08:40:06 -0700

Thanks a lot for your tests on HVM SMP guests support, here I think we
need make it more clear, actually on x86 we have 3 types of xen
hypervisors:
1) 32bit none-PAE xen hypervisor;
2) 32bit PAE xen hypervisor;
3) 64bit xen hypervisor,

and 3 types of HVM guests:
a) 32bit none-PAE HVM guests;
b) 32bit PAE HVM guests;
c) 64bit HVM guests.

On 1), we only support a)
On 2), we support a), and we are planning to support b), yet this is not
done yet :-(
On 3), we support a), b) and c).

>Failures:
>1. 32bit UP guest fail ltp gettimeofday02:
>    "Time is going backwards"
>2. 32bit and 64bit guests fail first boot attempt after booting XEN:
>    "(XEN) Failed vm entry, domain_crash_sync called from vmx.c"
>3. 32bit SMP guest hangs on boot after:
>    "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel."

The default Redhat 32bit SMP kernel is PAE enabled, so if you are trying
to run it on 1), you got such results :-(, for this kind of SMP testing,
I suggest you compile a none PAE 32bit SMP kernel by your own.
If you are running it on 64bit xen hypervisor, only FC5 32bit SMP kernel
can successfully boot currently. The reason is on 2 sides, one is
because PS support is still not complete, and the other is old version
(2.6.12-) Linux kernel can not handle such cases, SMP code and PAE code
are mixed there.
We have a patch in hand to complete PS support on x86_64, and tests show
RHEL4 32bit SMP can successfully boot :-)

Hope my explaination is clear for you :-)

-Xin