RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] What does xm top mean by the following:

From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rickey berkeley
Sent: 04 July 2006 14:05
To: pv
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] What does xm top mean by the following:

I think we can send this also to the developing mail list.
from pv

I'm compiling some tarballs in both the guest domains below (fedora1 and fedora2), they're quite compute/cpu intensive, when I do a xm top, I get the following, can someone tell me what does it mean to have CPU at 98.6% on one guest domain while 84.9% in the other when the host/domain-0 is at 3.2%? Thx in advance.

--
xentop - 20:38:02   Xen 3.0-unstable
3 domains: 2 running, 0 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 0 dying, 0 shutdown

Are you asking "Where does the rest of the CPU time (out of 200%) go?"
Then I can give you a rough answer: It is "lost" in the Hypervisor... It's probably used up in part to handle the disk accesses that your compile will do. Interrupts are passed through the hypervisor, as does page-fault handling and a few other processor exceptions. I doubt that the time spent dealing with for example page-faults is accounted in the correct domain (and it may not be accounted at all).

If this is not what you were asking, please clarify what your question is...

--
Mats