[Xen-devel] Re: [powerpc] initial PowerPC support

On 10 Jul 2006, at 20:23, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

xen/arch/x86/irq.c
xen/include/xen/irq.h
        We're using x86/irq.c wholesale, and so need this extra PIC logic.

xen/common/memory.c
        PowerPC's page->count_info is a long, because atomic operations are
performed on it. There's no need to change its type for the other
architectures, but this printk needed to change.

xen/include/public/xencomm.h
        This is the data structure that Linux uses to pass arbitrarily sized
buffers to Xen, so it needs to be in public/ .

We'd like to separate changes to existing files from addition of new files. Could you send a patch that contains all modifications to existing files (including makefiles), and then we'll comment on that separately from the bulk. This is the way we work with the ia64 team -- our pulls from their tree only bring in changes to ia64-specific code. All changes to common code are submitted separately as patches.

I think the changes are all okay to start with: I wonder why you call the arch powerpc rather than ppc? Also the change to the ARCH variable munging in xen/Rules.mk is strange -- do you have trailing characters after 'powerpc' that need to be stripped off? There's a bogus extra file in your tree (XendDomainInfo.py.orig).

What is the current status of this code in terms of stability and features? For example, does it work on a range of PPC systems, can unprivileged guests perform I/O, etc?

 -- Keir