Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Communicating with the Guest Os before the network comes up.

> Yes, on linux you can pass arguments to the kernel commandline which
> can be read from the /proc/cmdline. But I needed a cross platform
> generic method by which to bootstrap the network of the guest OS, and
> currently it appears there isn't one. In fact, when it comes to Xen,
> my primary aim is to run Windows.

I still can't see what is wrong with the DHCP approach ...

 * You can give every virtual machine a fixed MAC address.
 * DHCP can be configured to hand out fixed IP address (based on the
   machines MAC address).
 * You can even invent some scheme to map mac addresses to ip addresses
   (something like aa:bb:01:02:03:04 => 1.2.3.4), then you can easily
   script-generate the dhcp config file entries.

That will "just work" with almost every OS on the planet ;)

cheers,
  Gerd

--
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>