[Xen-devel] XenSource Trademarks

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chris Barclay" <cbarclay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:32:11 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:29:22 -0700

I have read the XenSource trademark policy (http://www.xensource.com/company/legal.html) and wanted to clarify the rights to distribute the Xen GPL software. In the spirit of transparency for open source development efforts, this Q&A may have relevance for others on the xen-devel list. Our goal is to distribute a snapshot of the xen-unstable hypervisor plus some number of bug-fixes that were required to make it ready for productization, and some design changes and bug-fixes to Domain-0 needed to meet our product requirements. The trademark policy addresses "...official versions of the Xen hypervisor in 3rd party products...". What is the policy for redistributing snapshots from the xen-unstable tree? Specifically, are there any changes that need to be made to the source code to avoid trademark concerns?

Thanks,
Chris Barclay
Virtual Iron Software