Re: [Xen-devel] blocking Xen 3.X production use: soft lockup bugs

On 2 Aug 2006, at 23:25, Ian Pratt wrote:

Do we have any consensus that this bug is fixed at all in
xen-3.0-testing, or even unstable?  Is anyone who was hitting soft
lockups in testing *not* hitting them any more on the same hardware?
If so, what changeset are you on now?

Soft lockups could be due to a huge variety of causes. It's unlikely to
be a hardware issue, and since the problems seem to be experienced by a
very small number of users my guess would be that it's configuration
dependent, most likely networking.

Also older versions using sedf scheduler (which has now been patched to avoid this) could end up with domain0 consuming all CPU and starving other guests, leading to softlockup errors. We haven't seen any such errors on our own test machines since this was fixed. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't problems with other test scenarios!

 -- Keir