Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 machine_to_phys vs NX bit

Keir Fraser wrote:
On 24/8/06 8:25 pm, "Rik van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Say, something like the following?

-    paddr_t phys = mfn_to_pfn(machine >> PAGE_SHIFT);
+    paddr_t phys = mfn_to_pfn((machine >> PAGE_SHIFT) & PHYSICAL_MASK);

I'm still thinking I may have missed something in the code
somewhere, but I've been looking at this for over an hour now
and can't seem to find it...

Any ideas?

Your suggested patch looks reasonable but it'd be good to find out why this
hasn't caused us problems. For example, perhaps supported_pte_mask doesn't
include PAGE_NX, so we're never setting the NX bit on 64-bit PTEs?

We do set the NX bit.  Including on vmalloced pages...

That must be worth checking out, possibly also tracing machine_to_phys to find out where that bit 63 goes -- I agree that it
looks like mfn_to_pfn() shouldn't work if bit63 is set in the
'maddr' argument.

Absolutely :)

--
What is important?  What you want to be true, or what is true?