[Xen-devel] Guidelines for tuning disk/block device parameters/performance in xen?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:46:37 +0300
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 06:47:10 -0700

Hi!

What are the recommended disk/block device settings for domU?

I mean settings like:

/sys/block/<device>/queue/nr_requests
/sys/block/<device>/queue/read_ahead_kb

Should the values be same in domU as in dom0 ? How does xen block device
driver in domU infect recommended values?

Are there other settings that affect block device/disk performance? I know
that at least the xen scheduler has some effect to the performance.. and of
course domU kernel io scheduler/elevator.

I'm going to do some testing/benchmarking later, but was now thinking of getting
all the correct tunables sorted out..

Thanks!

-- Pasi

                                   ^