Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format

On Sep 14, 2006, at 8:14 AM, John Levon wrote:

I brought this up with a few people at the summit, but I thought I'd
gauge interest here.

The current format used for save files and migration has a number of
problems:

1) it's not self-identifying (word size, machine type)
2) it's unversioned
3) it misses some useful meta information (e.g. xen version)
4) it's not easily extendable
5) it needlessly uses a different format from core files, requiring a
debugger to implement both formats as a backend if support for both is
wanted

I would like us to seriously consider a directory structure that contains as much information as possible. This would address 1-4 and we can develop a tools that can can make vmcore's gcore's for the plethora of debugging tools (gdb, crash, dbx, adb) used for 5.

The result could be used for saving, debugging, cloning, move to simulators and can simply be tarballed for storage and sharing.
There is so much the regular core files do not address.

The PPC team is just about to go deep on this and will slowly begin to discover all that happens here and how different we are from the current arch-users.

-JX