Re: [Xen-devel] save image file format

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 09:37:07AM -0400, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

> >I brought this up with a few people at the summit, but I thought I'd
> >gauge interest here.
> >
> >The current format used for save files and migration has a number of
> >problems:
> >
> >1) it's not self-identifying (word size, machine type)
> >2) it's unversioned
> >3) it misses some useful meta information (e.g. xen version)
> >4) it's not easily extendable
> >5) it needlessly uses a different format from core files, requiring a
> >debugger to implement both formats as a backend if support for both is
> >wanted
> >

> I would like us to seriously consider a directory structure that
> contains as much information as possible.

That's fine. We could, for example, use this container format as return
data from an "xm export"[1]. But the question of what format the memory
image takes will still remain, so I think this is a useful starting
point too.

regards
john

[1] we'll need this for at least the config files once the lifecycle
changes are in