[Xen-devel] Testing Report for Xen 3.0.3 rc3

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Xu, JiajunX" <jiajunx.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:56:05 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 06:56:46 -0700

We have tested Xen for 3.0.3 rc3. In the testing we mainly focus on
retesting the issues of the rc2 & rc1.

Following is the detail status:
New issue exists in 3.0.3 rc3:
1. FC6&FC5 IA32e SMP HVM Guest crash when booting SMP Guest
Since FC5 IA32 SMP will still crash HVM Guest in 3.0.3 rc3, we checked
FC6, found FC6 IA32e SMP also will crash HVM Guest. And we can boot up
FC6 IA32 SMP Guest.

And there are still 8 old issues in 3.0.3 rc3:
1. Windows Vista CANNOT boot up normally on PAE HV
When we try to boot Vista, it will give us a black screen and "xm list"
shows the status is "b". The issue is not clear now, if we compile Xen
with gcc version 4.1, vista can boot up. But if with gcc version 3.4.3,
it cannot boot up.

2. LTP case "mtest05 mmstress" in PAE SMP HVM domain may cause xen0
crash.
It won't happen every time, but if we run the cases for several times,
HVM domain will make xen0 crash then. And we also met the issue in
latest CS 11736.

3. Win2k installation with ACPI enabled will give a blue screen.
On all the IA32/IA32pae/IA32e HV, installation of Win2k with ACPI will
be block with a blue screen, saying the Win2k BIOS is not compliant with
ACPI specification.

4. Can not input number from special number keys (when Open Num Lock)
Sometimes the keyboard will work and sometimes not. And we met the
issues under both VNC and SDL mode.

5. LTP case "gettimeofday02", "ioperm02" and "pselect01" may fail in
HVM.
And we found "times03" also will fail in IA32 NONE_PAE SMP HVM Guest on
the all three platform HV.
These three fail cases can be easily reproduced by run them for 10
times.

6. X11perf fails in HVM
X11perf is a X11 server performance test program. If run all the cases
in it, it will fail and print that:
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Value in failed request:  0x8
  Serial number of failed request:  167370704

7. Can't set acoustic mangement with HVM IDE

8. Testing big ICMP package from xen0 to HVM

We didn't meet the 4 issues fixed in xen 3.0.3 rc2 again:
1. Para-virtualization driver doen't work for HVM guests
2. Using vi in VMX hangs guest

It is fixed in unstable tree cs 11686.
3. "Cannot boot up 4 HVM at the same time", VBD issue
4. IA32 PAE SMP guest OS can't reboot in IA32 PAE and IA32E xen0
It's fixed in unstable tree cs 11620.

Best Regards,
Jiajun