[Xen-devel] linux/i386: variable hypervisor hole not really variable?

Anything said in the past about the hypervisor address space hole
being variable led me to believe this address range is really variable,
meaning that namely under a 64-bit hv I could shrink the hole to just
the space needed for the m2p table. Have I mis-interpreted what I
heard, or is there really a problem here? In any case, the kernel has
a number of references to HYPERVISOR_VIRT_START, which
continues to be provided in the public headers.

In any case, I will want to fix this - my understanding is that I'd have
to introduce a new guest-specified feature identification (in the .note
section) telling the hv that it is okay to provide a non-default
HYPERVISOR_VIRT_START and, implicitly, a non-default m2p table
base.

Thanks, Jan