Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch] pvfb: Split mouse and keyboard into separate devices.

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:48:51AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > Yep, that's unneccessary since I realized you can have a single
> > device doing both mouse&keyboard, and get absolute co-ords from it
> > with no issues.
>
> That happens to work with Xorg 7.2, and even for that you'll have to
> play tricks like providing a dummy keyboard config section because Xorg
> expects one device for the keyboard and one for the mouse.
>
> It doesn't work with older Xorg releases, 6.9 for example.

Ahh, I did not know that.  Not a problem for current Fedora, but it'll be
important for guest distros based off old Xorg.

> > So I don't really see any compelling reason to change the way the input
> > devices are exposed.
>
> I do.

The compatability with older Xorg servers does actually make it compelling

> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver      "evdev"
>   Identifier  "Mouse"
>   Option        "evBits"      "+1 ~2-3"       # ev_key && (ev_rel || ev_abs)
>   Option        "keyBits"     "~256-287"      # btn_*
> EndSection

I notice you've no explicit device listed here. Am I understanding
right that, the evBits / keyBits options here will make it automatically
'find' the correct input device based on its declared capabilities ?

Regards,
Dan.