[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] Arp announce (for Xen)

From: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:30:30 -0800

> What about implementing the unused arp_announce flag on the inetdevice?
> Something like the following.  Totally untested...
>
> Looks like it either was there (and got removed) or was planned but
> never implemented.

This idea is fine.  But:

> +     case NETDEV_CHANGEADDR:
> +             /* Send gratuitous ARP in case of address change or new device
> */
> +             if (IN_DEV_ARP_ANNOUNCE(in_dev))
> +                     arp_send(ARPOP_REQUEST, ETH_P_ARP,
> +                              in_dev->ifa_list->ifa_address, dev,
> +                              in_dev->ifa_list->ifa_address, NULL,
> +                              dev->dev_addr, NULL);

We'll need to make sure the appropriate 'arp_anounce' address
selection is employed here.

One idea is to change arp_solicit() such that it can be invoked in
this context, or provide a new helper function which will do the
source address selection rules of 'arp_announce' and then invoke
arp_send() as appropriate for us.